Tuesday, January 17, 2017

2017 Goals



Hiya, everyone! How's your 2017 so far? I've been trying to keep on trudging along with my goals for the year, but I tend to teeter out on them by the end of February. This year, I would like to share some of my goals with you to hold myself accountable.


Reading 


I want to read like a writer as well as for the pure enjoyment of it. I want to turn off my critical lens and read outside my genre to expand my knowledge on craft. 

I started doing this at the end of 2016, and I hope to continue doing this in 2017.

Goal: 20 books 

Edit/Query 

I have been poking at this MS since after NaNo 2015, and I think it's time I complete something I've started. I can't write and edit and beta my own work, so 2017 is all about understanding the fact that I can not do it all.

Goal: Finish revisions on last third of novel (Q1); send MS to editor/revise some more (Q1/Q2); Send 100 queries (Q3/Q4)


Tackling Perfectionism/Self-Care

I've written both on the push and pull of perfectionism as well as things that creatives can do for self-care. But it's one thing to know something in theory, and a completely other matter to implement the theory in one's life.

2017 will be all about understanding my limitations as a writer as well as trying to steer away from aiming for perfection at the expense of a finished product (in my case, a novel).

I can never take the next step forward if I am afraid to let others see my work.

Goal: Send off MS knowing it is not 100% perfect, but it is the best I can do at this time.

Completion


All in all, I want 2017 to be the year I complete the projects I've started. I tend to be afraid of success and failure in equal measure, and this has inhibited me from making substantial progress with my goals. 

2017 is the year I am unafraid of failure.
2017 is the year I am unafraid of success.
2017 is the year I complete my projects.
2017 is the year of self-kindness.

What are some of your goals for 2017?

No comments:

Post a Comment